Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dandy-lions

I waged war on my garden this evening. It is full of dandelions.
It was a beautiful evening. The heat broke last night, rain this morning, and then post-rain coolness. The sunset had clouds which cast a soft pink light on everything. It was the perfect temperature to be out in jeans, t-shirt, and flip flops.
Between Miss Mary and I, we must have pulled over 50 dandelion plants. Had to - they are about to turn into the fun blowy things and re-seed my entire garden. It's already unbelievable how many I have. I had to put a stop to them spreading. They are so pretty when they are yellow, and lots of fun to blow, but gosh are they a pain . . . literally:That would be a dime-sized blister I got this evening from my spade. sigh

In other news, I'm working on something really great at work. Elizabeth Brown Chew's cook book came into the lab. It is ca. 1860 and has been really fun to compare with Martha Washington's cook book. There are some great recipes and I can't wait to try them out. My dad and Ann are coming in a few weeks - maybe they are willing to sample some recipes. Check out the blog post at www.chewpapers.blogspot.com.

No comments: