Sunday, May 15, 2011

Garden Work

Last Tuesday I decided it was time to put the screen door in. I bought it three years ago without really examining the doorway it would be going into. The door 's been sittin' in the first floor kitchen for three years because there were a few problems. For one thing, the door frame is metal, for another there was a great big pipe sticking out of the lower left corner for no apparent reason. I just couldn't face trying to saw the thing out. Turns out - there was no need to worry. I wouldn't have been able to saw it out because the saw wouldn't have fit in the skinny space between the doorframe and the pipe. Fooey. So I got the sledge hammer. Bent it right flat down flush with the door sill. Ready to go.
Now of course it still didn't go very smoothly. I didn't have the right drill bit for the metal door and it was a little precarious trying to reach the top stuff. On Friday, after going to Home Depot and getting the right drill bit. I finally gave up on trying to drill holes into the metal and used gorilla glue and clamps. Ya know what? Works just fine.
Part of the motivation for getting the screen up was so that I wouldn't always have to lock Swee'pea up on the 2nd floor. He likes to be where I am so the "open" door is a good trade off.
I spent the rest of the afternoon working on my herb garden.
The before:

Last fall I put in this tulip bed. Unfortunately the chili powder I threw all around the place didn't keep enough squirrels away and half of what I planted was not there to bloom in the spring.
The plan was always to put in a next row - but I wasn't sure what it would be planted there.
I've had a thyme bush, melisse, rosemary, and chives hanging out in pots on the porch. I thought they deserved a bit of earth for their own. I also added basil, chives and parsley. I hope everything makes it. It's supposed to rain for the next few days. This is a good thing, but I'd really like to get my tomatoes in the ground too. That's a whole 'nother weekend project.

No comments: