Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Studio and the Stairwell

Slowly, I am moving into my studio. Slowly. The only things I've added (of all of the junk you see) that did not come from my apartment are the guillotine and the bulletin board. Nothing else is new. The rest of it all came from my two room apartment which was probably the size of the entire studio. I'm not really sure how I fit everything in, especially since now I'm considering getting more cabinets. This is definitely not necessary because I have about a billion cabinets in storage. I just don't want to move everything one at a time. I have to remind myself of this before visiting Ikea again.

Henry Sanding Floor is coming again tomorrow. He's doing the stairwell and I finally got my act in gear and took some good 'before' shots. As I mentioned before, Jessica, Mario, Ansley and Anni yanked out the carpet on the stairs. I am very grateful to them for this because I didn't have to do it. :) Henry is doing the whole stairwell which will only take three days.
I kind of wish I had thought this through a little bit more. I desperately want an upside-down refrigerator. Makes more sense! However, getting the one I have downstairs , and new one upstairs, is not exactly going to be a piece of cake. If the stairs wouldn't be finished it wouldn't be a big deal, but with the stairs done, I'd like them (whoever they will be) to be a bit careful in throwing the thing down the stairs. But I guess I will have to worry about that in the future. A new fridge will not be in until 1. after my show, 2. the wall has been knocked down, so that 3. Henry can come and sand the last of the second floor floors. Everybody clear the plan? Good.

Here's the start of the stairwell, with "beautiful" red linoleum:There is also a fabulous view of my beautiful banister. I've still got plenty to strip off of it. I was working under the illusion that I am wonder woman last month. I thought I could get everything done in time. That finally caught up with me over the weekend, I was exhausted!
The red linoleum changes to black on the second floor landing. Why??
Hmm, lovely!And the stairs to the third floor.
That should be plenty of an idea of the stairwell. I'm really excited to see what it looks like after Henry tackles it. :)

In other news, I finally finished my syllabus.
And none too soon. I don't really know why I was dragging my feet on this, it was not that big of a deal. I've taught the class for three years, all the instructions are pretty solid, and I just needed to add this year's syllabus and change a few dates. I went to school last night at 9:30 and xeroxed it all. My students sew their course book together on the first night. This accomplishes a few things: 1. They have ownership of their coursebook. It will never be thrown away because it's the first book they've every made. 2. It sends the message, "you will work your butt off in this class." and 3. I don't have to do any more xeroxing for the rest of the semester, it's all there, in the book. Yahoo!

1 comment:

Scrappy said...

I am so excited to see the stairs done. They are one of my favorite things in an old house.