Sunday, June 28, 2009

Cookin' and Readin'

It was my turn this weekend again for the Farm Share. I love this thing! Look at all I got - fresh, local, organic. Fantastic! Those are peas on the lower left. I got two squashes, potatoes, garlic cheddar, 6 eggs, the best pork sausage I've ever had, head of romaine and granola! Now, I know it's not going to feed me for a week, but it will be great. I have no idea what to do with the peas. I'll have to shell 'em first - never done that.

While I was picking up my farm share, I bought some tomatoes to make a tomato tart - inspired by Elizabeth Brown Chew.I found this recipe in her cookbook when I was rebinding it - and have been wanting to alter it ever since. So here's what I did:
1 set frozen pie crusts
4 large tomatoes
olive oil
one very large onion (or two medium)
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
1/2 tsp salt
pepper

Slice the onion (I sliced rings) and saute in olive oil for about 15 min. Meanwhile, crush garlic into a bowl, add the salt, cumin, coriander and pepper and mix. Slice the tomatoes thinly.
When the onions have been cooked, add a bit more olive oil, and the garlic/spice paste. Saute briefly and turn the heat off. Put a layer of sliced tomato in the bottom of one of the pie crusts. Put another layer of the onion/garlic mixture on top. Put another layer of tomato, then another layer of the onion mixture, and then a third layer of tomato. Put the other pie crust on top - add vent holes, and bake as you would normally bake a pie (10 minutes at 410°, then an hour at 350°, cover the pie with aluminum foil so that it doesn't burn). I would leave the kitchen, if you don't want to be overwhelmed by the most amazing smells. For next time - I would make my own crust and add herbs to it, such as basil and rosemary. I think that would make this thing even more amazing.

I didn't get much done this weekend in the house. I did some gardening, I unpacked more boxes, but mostly I cooked and read. I got suckered into The Clan of the Cave Bear again. Ugh. I just can't put it down, and I'm so close to the end, I think I'll have to pick up the second book from the library tomorrow. - You know, I should be reading literature. Instead I'm reading about how many hair follicles a woolly rhino from the Pleistocene era had and why for three pages straight.
Oh, but she writes good drama that Jean Auel.

No comments: