Monday, November 23, 2009

Long Time Comin'

I know I know, it's been an eternity since I've posted. There's been a ton of stuff.
Work, teaching, art, knitting, - work, teaching, art, sleep, garden, - work, teaching, art, cat - goofing off somewhere in there too - oh so much.
But I wanted to post a few things.
1). This is what I did this weekend:I knitted some shells. So for the knitters, those are (small) - sock yarn with gold ribbon, (medium) a regular acrylic yarn, and (large) a super heavy weight (size #13 needle) yarn.
My friend Irina and her husband gave me an amazon gift card. Yippee! Two seconds later - I bought that "Amigurumi Knits" book I've been wanting - Amazon won't let me steal their image - so you'll just have to look that title up on their website up.

Oh it's really really good and very very challenging. This is concentration knitting, no watching Netflix while you're at it. I don't know what I will do with the shells, but since I'm on this funny shell kick, I thought it was valid studio work. We shall see.

2). This is my poor kitty, post cleaning all of the vet-smell off of himself this evening. Yes, my poor baby has a urinary tract infection (at least he's not blocked this time), needs his medication every morning for the next ten days, (that should be fun), and poor little guy he is exhausted from this ordeal. But at least he's okay. He is watching the giant fly that is buzzing around my living room at the moment. Doesn't appear to be much more interested than that.

3). Food.
a) For the past few weeks my farm share has been really good to me. Last week I got 4 pears, one squash, broccoli, four onions, cheese, sweet Italian sausage, granola and eggs. This week I got four apples, breakfast sausage, cheese, eggs, granola, squash, potatoes, and turnips. I haven't needed to got to Trader Joe's since the beginning of November. Now that's sayin' something!
It's really fun being creative. Yesterday I waged war on my yard once more. I took out the tomato plants, harvest the last of the green tomatoes, and generally wrecked havoc on the poor innocent bushes - which just don't belong there! Needless to say, I was hungry. So I made a saute of sausage, onions, garlic, green tomatoes and squash. It was really yummy... cumin - I think- does the trick every time.
The stand next to where I pick up my farm share has some interesting things. For example I started picking up raw milk from them. This is the real old-fashioned stuff, cream at the top and all, straight from the cow. It's pretty good with that granola, let me tell you.
That stand also had these:Want a hint? - that's a cauliflower. Now, I don't like cauliflower, so I'm not going to eat that - but I just think it's really pretty. Is this thing for real? Or is it genetically modified?
I also discovered a few months ago that my local International Food and Spices Store (Pakistani) store also carries Injera bread. That's the flat Ethiopian/Eritrean bread. Yum Yum. I bought a packet, and ate it with the Turnip/apple/onion and spices stew I had made the night before. Yum. Yum.
Then I got a closer look at the label. Hee hee! - spell check doesn't catch it when ya use the complete wrong word!

No comments: